18 August, 2005

Shot in the Arm

I got my shots yesterday -- ouch ouch! I had almost forgotten about the tetanus aches and pains. Thank goodness you only need it every ten years.

Meningitis

My doctor advised me to get the Menomune meningitis vaccine instead of the Menactra dose. This is because Menactra, although longer lasting than Menomune, interacts with both tetanus and hepatitis vaccines and shouldn't be given at the same time as either. The primary side effect of this interaction is a severe headache and flu-like symptoms. Since I needed all three of those shots on the same day, I went with Menomune, which only lasts about 3 years instead of 10. Both of these shots are only for meningococcal bacteria Groups A, C, Y, and W-135, which cause 50% of infections. Neither guards against Group B or viral meningitis -- so if you develop symptoms, find a doctor even if you've been vaccinated.

Hepatitis A and B

You'll need to plan six months in advance for your Hepatitis shots if you are traveling in an at-risk country. Hep A is a series of 2 shots, preferably 6-18 months apart, and costs about US $60 a dosage. Hep B is a series of 3 shots within a 6 month period and costs US $60 per dose. If you live in the US, it's easy to find a state clinic if your doctor does not provide the vaccines.

Other Vaccines

When you travel abroad, remember to check travel advisories and health warnings before you go. You may need a Polio booster or a Yellow Fever vaccine in addition to those listed above. An oral Typhoid vaccine is less painful than a needle -- you just drink three doses over three days. This vaccine is a live culture, so make sure to keep it refrigerated to maintain its effectiveness -- no shopping trips on the way home from the pharmacy! (There was a blackout the second night of my typhoid series. My fridge got too warm, so I had to start the course all over. Needless to say, the insurance company was not sympathetic, and I had to pay for the second one.)

Don't Forget the Yellow Card

Make sure you get a yellow WHO immunization certification card. I have mine paper-clipped into my passport so I won't lose it. Some border crossings, especially in southern Africa, do check it to make sure your vaccinations are up to date before you enter.